It’s been quite some time since we were able to stock Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for you. We know a lot of you miss it…so do we, as a matter of fact.
We’ve just been having another flick through J.R.’s Cookbook and lo and behold, we stumbled across his recipe for the delicious dinner! So, right, we can’t bring you ‘instant’ mac ‘n cheese…but we can bring you a great recipe for you to make it at home. And it really doesn’t look all that difficult either!
Here we go…
J.R. and Jan’s Macaroni and Cheese
- 1lb small shaped pasta, like penne or elbow
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated low-fat or regular cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C, Gas Mark 4)
- In a large pot, cook pasta following packet directions. Drain and place in a large bowl
- Bring milk to boil in another pan then set aside
- Melt butter in another pan. Add flour slowly to the butter, whisking over a low heat for 5 minutes. Avoid browning!
- Remove butter/flour mix from the heat and add the milk, blending well
- Add 1.2 teaspoon of paprika, salt and pepper
- Return to heat and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened
- Pour over the pasta and mix thoroughly
- Butter a 13x9x2″ baking dish and fill with prepared pasta
- Sprinkle grated Gruyère cheese, remaining paprika and pepper on top
- Place dish on a foil-covered baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly over the top and place under the grill with the rack as low as possible
- Grill for 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden
- Remove from grill and serve!
And there youhave it…your very own mac ‘n cheese…way better than Kraft and you get the sense of achievement from making it yourself! Get cooking, folks, deliciousness is only an hour away!