Looking out the window right now we’re confronted with wind, rain and cold. Which makes today’s choice of recipe from Jim “JR” Ross’ famous cookbook all the more appealing!
There’s nothing better than a hearty stew on a day like today. This one benefits from JR’s Hot BBQ Sauce for extra warmth and from the fact it’s really, really easy!
- 2lbs cubed venison or stewing beef
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 small clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon JR’s Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup beer (use a real ale)
- Water to cover
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes, chopped (keep the liquid)
- 2 large potatoes, unpeeled, chopped into eighths
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 green pepper
- Mix together salt, garlic, pepper, JR’s Hot Sauce
- Place venison in a large pot and sprinkle half the mixture over the meat
- Pour in the beer
- Add just enough water to cover the meat
- On a medium heat bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender
- Add vegetables and remainder of the seasonings mixture
- Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes
- Serve immediately with crusty bread (we added that bit!)
Hearty, wholesome and delicious!
WIN: Signed JR’s Cookbook & Sauces & Seasonings Pack
Your chance to win an amazing prize – a personally signed copy of JR’s Cookbook and a pack of his sauces and seasoning to get you grilling like a pro! ENTER HERE.