What…just WHAT…is a hush puppy? Fair question that. We accidentally stumbled across this recipe while searching for something entirely different and there was no way we weren’t going to share it with you!
“Hush puppies” are basically seasoned balls of batter that you can add almost anything to. Only your imagination will limit you! In this case, we’ve chosen the classic combination of bacon and cheese, along with some hot sauce for a nice kick!
Whatever you use, they make a decent main course if you make enough or can be used as a side for something else. Just serve with the dip(s) of your choice!
American Soda Shopping List
So here’s how it’s done.
- Grapeseed oil (for frying)
- 1 1/4 cups of white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of Scorned Woman Hot Sauce
- 1 cup of medium salsa, drained, pulsed in food processor
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of bacon, fried crispy and crumbled into pieces
- Kosher salt to taste for finishing
- Preheat a fryer or large pot of the grapeseed oil to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Whisk the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, garlic, hot sauce and salsa in a different bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Add the grated cheese and bacon and mix until combined.
- Using 2 tablespoons carefully drop the balls of batter into your fryer / pan.
- Fry for about 4 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel to drain and sprinkle with kosher salt to taste.
- Serve hot with a choice of dips.
- You can really experiment with hush puppies, replacing the hot sauce, bacon and cheese with options of your choice!