We’re going to do a series of recipes using root beer this week. Why? Because we can! And because they’re delicious. Also, as it’s a four day week and we have four recipes to show you, it allows us to leave the one containing vodka and just for the adults right til the weekend! Ha ha!
Oh, and we’ll be using Dad’s Root Beer in each recipe.
But first, this. A root beer float CAKE!
American Soda Shopping List
Ok, let’s bake!
- 2 cups of Dad's root beer (Don't use diet - it won't work)
- 1 cup of dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup (4 ounces) of unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1¼ cups of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces of dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup (4 ounces) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of Dad's root beer
- 2/3 cup of dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C, Gas Mark 3). Generously spray the inside of a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, or butter the pan and dust with flour, shaking out the excess flour; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the Dad's root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy, which is okay. Do not overbeat it, as it could cause the cake to be tough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a small sharp knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and turn it out onto the rack.
- To make the Root Beer Fudge Frosting, put all of the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until the frosting is shiny and satiny, scraping the sides of the food processor a couple of times. (If you don't have a food processor, simply throw it all into the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl using a hand mixer and mix on medium-low until combined and satiny smooth.)
- Use a spatula to spread the fudge frosting over the cake in a thick layer. Let the frosting set before serving. Store leftovers wrapped well or in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Serve with TWO scoops of ice cream - vanilla, chocolate or mint work well!
- You can use any root beer in this (except diet) but we're recommending Dad's all week for these recipes. It just seems to work best.