For precisely 100 years, Oreo have been making life a little less serious. Here’s some interesting facts about the humble Oreo you may not know.
- Nearly 500 million cookies have been sold since March 6th 1912
- Oreo is the world’s most popular cookie
- A dedicated Oreo plant will begin construction in Sheffield this month to produce the cookies for the first time in this country
- Traditional Oreo Cookies first appeared in the UK in Sainsburys stores in 2008. American Soda had them well before that…
- The UK version uses slightly different ingredients, including whey powder, so are unsuitable for the lactose intolerant. The US version, however, is just fine
- Oreos are best dunked in milk though. Fact. But they are also very versatile, as these Oreo Cookie recipes show
- There are currently FORTY SEVEN (47) different varieties of Oreo
- Weird Al Yankovich released a parody single in 1992 entitled “The White Stuff”, based on New Kid’s on the Block’s “You Got It (The Right Stuff)”. Here it is. Enjoy(!)
Happy birthday, Oreo!